Wednesday, June 15, 2011

SOAP Devotion: Isaiah 6

hands raised
Do you remember times in your life when you eagerly wished to be chosen for something?  In school, you might have wanted to be picked for a sports team, a play, or just to be on the right side of the dodgeball game. As an adult, maybe you wanted to be picked for a job, to win a prize or some other exciting thing. And probably, there were others clamoring for the same thing. How many times can you remember being the only one saying “pick me!” Serving God isn’t always glamorous or easy, and often times the assignments can be difficult. But are you willing to say “pick me, Lord” when no one else is?


Today’s Reading Is Isaiah 6

Scripture: And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said, Here am I; send me. Isaiah 6:8

Observation:  God is looking for those who are willing to go where He sends them. His call is to all who will hear and heed…am I listening? Am I willing to put up my hand and say “pick me, Lord!”?

Application:  I can’t say I’m one of those people who is always out in the forefront…wanting to be noticed or picked for things. I like staying home in my nice little world and not being bothered by things around me. But that is not what God wants me to do…to cocoon myself away and not participate in the world. Sure, we are not to be “of this world”, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t to be in it. Aren’t we urged to be salt and light in the world? Salt doesn’t do much tucked away in the cupboard, and a light hidden in a closet isn’t being used to its full potential, either.

As I read this passage this morning, I was  convicted of my selfish desire to shelter those I love and also be sheltered myself from all the evils of the world. I’m certainly not advocating throwing caution and wisdom out of the window…there is definitely a need for that, especially when it comes to young children. But do I make myself available to go where God says to go and do what He says to do? Do I talk to a stranger or offer to pray with someone I don’t know very well, or am I afraid to step out of my comfortable little zone?  I have something amazing and wonderful – a life redeemed and restored by a loving Heavenly Father – that is meant to be shared with others, not hidden away for just myself.

I think there are a lot of believers out there who are right where I am. But who among us will be willing to lift our hand and say, like Isaiah, “Here I am, Lord…send me”?  If we wait for others to do it, chances are it won’t get done…at least not near as quickly as if there are many willing hands to do the job. Will I have the courage to raise my hand…and really mean it?  Will I have the quiet spirit and mind that I need to hear the invitation and the instruction? Only if I purposely quiet my spirit and mind and actively listen to what the Father is saying to me each day. Then I must choose to be chosen, regardless of the cost.

PrayerFather, forgive me for selfishly hiding the wonderful gift you’ve given me! Help me to overcome my fears, give me boldness to share what You’ve blessed me with with others. Help me to be willing to say “pick me”, no matter what the cost. And please, help me have the quiet, receptive mind and spirit I need to hear You every moment of every day.

SOAP_RING_redo

To learn more about SOAP, click the logo above

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate that you took the time to read my blog and leave a comment! And as much as I hate to do it, I had to not allow Anonymous users to comment anymore...and turn on that annoying word verification. Too much spam Sorry!

Check for Swagcodes Here!

Integrity is a Lost Virtue, but I Choose to:

BlogWithIntegrity.com